Early Scientific Writing
The purpose of this paper is for you to examine some of the writing styles used before the development of psychology and compare those papers to research work done today.
Paper Length: 500-600 words
1. Philosophical Transactions is the first English language journal and is the major journal published by the Royal Society of London. Publication of the journal began in 1665 (and continues today). Their website is: http://www.jstor.org/journals/03702316.html. Go to the website and select a journal article.
• Your article MUST have been published BEFORE 1850.
• Your article CANNOT be a book review or a letter.
2. Select a recent psychology article published AFTER 1995. This article should in some way be related to the original article that you selected.
3. Write a short paper. You paper should include the following:
– Introduction: In a paragraph, introduce your topic. Make sure to clearly state your topic, the authors of the papers, and why you’re interested in this topic.
– Main Point of Philosophical Transactions paper. Make sure to comment on the style of the paper and the research methodology (it might be just observational).
– Main Point of modern research paper. Make sure to comment on the style of the paper and the research methodology (it might be just observational).
– Integration: Compare and contrast the papers from the two time periods. How are they the same? Different? Did they use similar methodologies? Are the earlier theories still relevant to psychology today? Why or why not?
– Conclusion: Provide a short paragraph to conclude your paper.
– References: Include a full reference for BOTH of the papers that you used