Textbook name: Organizational Communication for Survival (5th Edition)
Virginia Peck Richmond (Author), James C. McCroskey (Author), Larry Powell (Author)
? Chapter 8 covers perceptions of people in organizations and covers three major concepts. For each of these concepts the book outlines three dimensions or types.
1. Which Dimension of Credibility do you think is most important? Justify your answer in 3-5 sentences
2. Which Form of Interpersonal Attractiveness do you think is more important? Justify your answer in 3-5 sentences
3. Which Type of Homophily do you think is most important? Justify you’re a
? Chapter 9 covers Approaches to Management. In this activity you will select THREE of the five styles of leader outlined in the chapter (and visualized in diagram 9.1).
1. Identify three styles of leader you selected
2. Define each style in ONE sentence
3. Provide an example of EACH style you selected in 3-5 sentence
? Chapter 10 is about Power and Status. While these are distinct concepts they are powerful when related. We are going to focus on Power in this activity.
1. Identify the FIVE Bases of Social Power as outlined by French and Raven and 1968
2. Explain what each of them means in 1-2 sentences EACH
3. Provide an example of EACH of the FIVE bases in an organizational setting in 2-3 sentences each
? Chapter 11 is about Organizational Culture. Culture can be a complicated concept since it’s difficult to define and has so many components. In this activity we will focus on ethnocentrism.
1. Explain Egocentrism in 1-2 sentences
2. Explain Ethnocentrism in 1-2 sentences
3. Explain In-Groups and Out-Groups in 2-3 sentences
4. Explain what is meant by Levels of Ethnocentrism in 1-2 sentences
5. Give an example of how ethnocentrism can be GOOD in an organization in 1-2 sentences
6. Give an example of how ethnocentrism can be BAD in an organization in 1-2 sentences
? Chapter 12 is all about Change in organizations. We are going to focus on Informal Communication Network Roles. The book identifies SEVEN of these informal roles starting with "bridge" and ending with "old boys and old girls". For EACH OF THESE ROLES you will:
1. Define the role in 1-2 sentences
2. Provide an example of the role within an organization. You can use real examples from your experience or make up a hypothetical
? Chapter 13 covers a number of concepts but in this activity we are going to focus on TWO concepts.
1. In 3-5 sentences explain the concept "Tolerance for Disagreement"
2. Provide an example of tolerance for disagreement in an organization that includes TWO levels (high, moderate, or low) of tolerance
3. In 3-5 sentences explain the concept "Groupthink"
4. Provide an example of how Groupthink can cause a problem for an organization
? Chapter 14 is about the relationship between supervisors and subordinates. The textbook covers "10 Common Communication Mistakes." You are to select THREE of these Common Mistakes that you have experienced at some point in your life. It’s best if you’ve experienced these in an organization but if not you can come up with examples from your personal life. For each you should explain your example in 3-5 sentences.
? Chapter 15 is about various types of Discrimination.
1. In 1-2 sentences explain what Discrimination is in the context of organizational communication (and not its common usage)
2. In 1-2 sentences explain what Pseudodiscrimination is in the context of organizational communication (and not its common usage)
3. Explain in 3-5 sentences how discrimination can be good or necessary for an organization and include an example
4. Explain in 3-5 sentences how discrimination can be bad or problematic for an organization and include an example